Ellen is an award-winning quilt artist who loves sharing her passion for innovative design. Following a 33-year career. she retired in 2014 in order to spend more time on personal work. Former students described her teaching style as “relaxed and enabling.” She inspired hundreds to find their own creative voice by veering off the paths labeled safe and correct.
American Quilter magazine selected Ellen as the featured artist for its spring 2007 issue, one of five artists chosen each year. Her quilt Hurricane Warning is in the permanent collection of the Concourse Gallery, Upper Arlington, OH. Ellen’s work has been featured in national, regional, and local publications. She has been on the teaching faculty for many conferences and symposia. She has lectured and conducted workshops for dozens of guilds from the Carolinas to California. Her work has received over 60 awards and has been exhibited in over 30 galleries in the US and Canada.
She attended Northern Illinois University as an education major. Ellen lives in Charlotte NC with her husband Bill. They have one son, Matthew, a wonderful daughter-in-law, Suzie, and two beautiful grandchildren. In addition to her quilting interests, Ellen owns a small antiques business and collects vintage textiles and buttons. But most of all, she loves to make people laugh.
- Education: Northern Illinois University and Central Piedmont Community College
- Invitational and Juried Exhibitions (selected):American Quilter’s Society; Sacred Threads 2003/2005; International Quilt Association Special Exhibits (two); Vantage-Point: South – Hurricane Warning (publicity quilt); The Art Quilt: Encrustrations; World Quilt Competition; The Art of the Quilt, Martinsville VA.
- Teaching Credits (selected): National Quilting Association; American Quilter’s Society; Gulf States Quilting Conference and NC Quilt Symposium (four years)
- Publications (selected): Focus on Batiks; Great American Quilts 2004; Quilter’s Newsletter magazine; American Quilter, spring 2007 and 1993, and four issues of the IQA Journal
- Awards (selected):Over 60 ribbons including a 1st, 3rd and honorable mention from the National Quilting Association; People’s Choice (Quiltfest ’94); three Judge’s Choice awards.